Important Health Advisory from the New York State Department of Health Regarding the Zika Virus
New York State Department of Health Commissioner Howard Zucker, MD, JD, held a webinar for all clinicians and healthcare providers in New York State Tuesday on Zika virus. This advisory highlights some of the key information from the webinar, which is available online here. The Department also activated an information line for providers and patients, who can call 1-888-364-4723 between 9 AM and 6 PM weekdays.
The Department’s Wadsworth Center Laboratories will provide Zika virus testing for all individuals who recently traveled to an area with ongoing Zika virus transmission and care currently symptomatic. This is in addition to offering testing to pregnant women who are or were symptomatic and traveled to an area with ongoing Zika virus transmission at any point during pregnancy.
- The Wadsworth Center is one of only three state laboratories in the nation with the ability to conduct the advanced testing needed to confirm Zika virus infection. Wadsworth will offer molecular tests which detect the presence of the virus, as well as both screening and confirmatory tests for antibodies against Zika and other related viruses. Complete results can take up to 21 days after initiation of testing at Wadsworth.
- Hospitals and providers must contact their LHD (Local Health Department) prior to sending samples to Wadsworth. Upon learning of a request for Zika virus testing, LHDs should contact their regional epidemiologist.
- A minimum of three ml of serum and three ml of urine should be frozen at -80oC and shipped on dry ice to the Wadsworth Center, David Axelrod Institute, 120 New Scotland Avenue, Albany, NY 12208. Wadsworth’s Infectious Diseases Requisition form, which is available here, must be completed before submission.
<< Read more on our News Page
Mark your Calendar!
Saturday, June 4, 2016
Westchester Hilton Hotel
699 Westchester Avenue
Rye Brook, NY 10573
Earn up to a maximum of 7.5 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM and 30 ABIM MOC Points!
Program to Include:
- Exciting and Timely Plenary Topics
- Multiple Breakout Sessions
- 3 ABIM MOC Sessions
- Resident & Medical Student Poster Competition
Details & Agenda • Register Online
Submit an Abstract
E-Prescribing Implementation is Nearly Upon Us!
Prepare Today with NYACP!
The final date for implementation of E-Prescribing for both controlled and non-controlled substances is March 27, 2016.
Is your practice prepared?
If not, NYACP has a wealth of resources to assist you in your implementation efforts.
<< Read more on our Practice Management Page
Weekend Board Review Course
Earn up to a maximum of 18.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM.
Sat. March 12- Sun., March 13, 2016
Catholic Health Administrative &
Regional Conference Center
144 Genesee Street
Buffalo, NY 14203
Online Registration open - space is limited!
The NY Chapter ACP and Catholic Health Systems are excited to announce that a Weekend Internal Medicine Board Review Course has been scheduled for Saturday, March 12-Sunday March 13, 2016 in Buffalo, NY.
Chapter members who are preparing to take the exam for the Board Recertification or first-time Certification can take advantage of this unique IM Board Review Course
<< Read more on our Education Page
How to Avoid 2017 Meaningful Use Penalty
Register Now: 2016 Medicare Quality Reporting Programs
MLMIC Policyholders to Receive 20 % Dividend
MKSAP Online Study Hall!
Updated District Meeting Schedule
"Tip of the Month"
"Promoting Communication between the Referring and the Consulting Physicians"
NYACP Legal Counsel:
Laurie Cohen, Esq., Partner at Nixon Peabody, LLP and the Chapter's Attorney provides members with support and direction through articles and answering questions relevant to general practice. Now named “Law Firm of the Year” in Health Care Law by U.S. News and World Report!