CMS Updates Open Payments Data Under the "Sunshine Act"
On January 18, 2019, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) updated the Open Payments dataset to reflect changes to the data that took place since the last publication in June 2018. The updated dataset is now available for viewing here.
CMS updates the Open Payments data at least once annually to include updates from disputes and other data corrections made since the initial publication of the data. The refreshed Open Payments Data Set includes:
- Record Updates: Changes to non-disputed records that were made on or before November 15, 2018, are published.
- Disputed Records: Dispute resolutions completed on or before December 31, 2018 are displayed with the updated information. Records with active disputes that remained unresolved as of December 31, 2018 are displayed as disputed.
- Record Deletions: Records deleted before December 31, 2018 were removed from the Open Payments database. Records deleted after December 31, 2018, remained in the database, but will be removed during the next data publication in June 2019.
The following is not included in the data refresh:
- Any records submitted to the Open Payments system for the first time after the close of the Program Year 2017 submission window (March 31, 2018).
- Any records that were disputed and for which dispute resolution resulted in a change to the covered recipient.
Note: Updates not included in the refresh are due to the requirement that covered recipients must be provided an opportunity to review data attributed them for accuracy. For more information about the Open Payments Program timeline, click here.
This financial data was submitted by applicable manufacturers and group purchasing organizations (GPOs).