Opportunity to Provide Feedback on NYS PCMH and VBP is Right Around the Corner!
Category: Practice Management
Price transparency is a hot topic in healthcare. Patients are asking more questions related to the cost of their care. Physicians are incorporating the topic into patient visits as part of whole-person care. NYACP and ACP have supporting resources for addressing this topic. The following are resources for the most common topics encountered in practice:
Getting the Conversation Started
- ACP Conversation Guide – Ideas and phrases to help guide the topic in a patient encounter.
- ACP Steps to Estimate Cost of Care – A template for planning a full course of treatment to help patients plan for costs.
- ACP Medical Treatment and Cost Planning Tool – Describes how to determine the cost of care.
Finding/Getting Better Insurance Coverage
- Medicare Plan Finder – Compare Medicare and Medicare Advantage Plans along with expenses.
- NY State Healthcare Marketplace – Compare commercial plans and expenses.
Estimating and Planning Costs
- What’s Covered – An App for Medicare patients that provides information about coverage by service.
- FAIR Health – A great place to get an idea of local pricing for services. This is useful for uninsured patients and for dental estimates.
- GoodRx – Compare medication costs at local pharmacies and find alternatives. Use it for your pet’s prescriptions, too!
- NYACP Donut Hole Handout – Help Medicare patients learn about and plan for their medication costs.
- NeedyMeds – Search $4 generic lists, get a listing of patient assistance programs for medications, transportation and supplies.
- Community Health Advocates – Connect the patient with an organization that helps navigate insurance plans, surprise bills and find assistance programs.