ACP membership provides access to valuable clinical and professional resources, nationally respected publications, quality education, powerful advocacy, career management solutions, practice improvement, and networking within a community of over 12,000 members in New York and 143,000 members nationwide.
Laurie Cohen, Esq.
Your New York ACP membership is packed with value:
Professional and Educational Development
- 3-Hour Online Pain Managment & Opioid Prescribing Training
(satisfies NYS Prescribing Mandate)
- Annual CME Accredited Scientific Teaching Programs
- ABIM Recertification Opportunities - SEP Modules
- Local "District" Meetings Throughout the Year
- Guidance on Advancing to Fellowship
- Resident and Medical Student Activities and Research Competitions
- Webinars on Leadership, Physician Wellness, Medical Practice, Public Health Issues, Clinical Subjects and More
Advocacy and Public Health Promotion
- Monitoring of and Reporting on Legislation and Regulations that Affect Medical Practice in NYS
- Web-based Grassroots Action Center to Quickly Contact Your Elected Officials
- Public Health Promotion Through Program and Service Initiatives
Practice Management Resources
- Members-only Areas of the Chapter’s website, including Resources on Quality and Practice Improvement
- Tools for Practice Transformation including PCMH and EHR Adoption
- Resources for Negotiating with Managed Care Companies
- Guidelines for Reimbursement and Documentation Efficiency
Medical Liability Mutual Insurance Company (MLMIC)
- NYACP endorses and works with Medical Liability Mutual Insurance Company (MLMIC) - a mutual professional liability insurance company owned by the healthcare providers it insures
- Access to Legal Counsel to Answer General Practice Questions and Guidance on How to Comply with Federal and State Regulations
Personal Development & Community Involvement
- 6-Hour Online Auto Insurance Reduction Course
- Serving on Local and State Committees that Make a Difference
- Direct Participation in Chapter Policy Development
- Mentoring Opportunities
- Community Service and Community Teaching Opportunities
- New York Chapter Website
- Educational Program Notices
- Grassroots Advocacy Action Alerts
- NYACP's Your Chapter in Action: Bi-Weekly Publication
- Like us on Facebook
- Visit us on Twitter
- Follow our Blog: I.M. New York
Valuable ACP Member Benefits
Learn Strategies to Help Combat the Opioid Epidemic with FREE Resources from ACP
New: ACP Practice Advisor® Opioid Risk Management Module*
This online tool can help your practice enhance patient care and office efficiency. The Opioid Risk Management module has resources to help mitigate risk and improve
On-Demand Webinars: Chronic Pain/Opioid Prescribing
These webinars are supported by Funding Opportunity 1L1CMS331476-03-00 from the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, Centers for Medicare &
Practice Advisor Modules
Several new Practice Advisor modules have been released on a variety of topics:
- Opioid Risk Management helps to assess your practice’s ability to successfully develop a treatment plan for chronic pain and track and monitor opioid use if prescribed.
- Managing Diabetes Mellitus offers resources for clinicians to help identify key practice level interventions to optimize the delivery of care to patients with diabetes, motivate patients with diabetes to improve their self-management skills, and help practices deliver optimal diabetes care.
- Diagnosis and Initial Management of Hypertension addresses three primary management questions: the diagnosis of hypertension, blood pressure targets for patients, and options for the initial treatment of hypertension.
- Management of Uncontrolled Hypertension delves deeper into the management of patients whose blood pressure is unable to be controlled through initial therapies.
Successful completion of Practice Advisor activities enables the participant to earn 20 CME and MOC Practice Assessment points.
This module and others are available now for ACP Practice Advisor® users at PracticeAdvisor.org/Modules.
In this FREE video from ACP Quality Connect, learn why we should assess both pain and mental health. Then identify tools to assess pain, including the Brief Pain Inventory (BPI).
The Next-Generation Clinical Decision Support Resource
DynaMed Plus has been redesigned from the ground up for busy clinicians, focused on providing a comprehensive clinical decision resource and optimized to deliver the fastest time to answer possible. Content is written by a world-class team of physicians who synthesize the evidence and provide objective analysis. Daily updates ensure you are always getting the most current information available.
Precise Search Results mean clinicians get relevant search results every time. The redesigned search delivers a high level summary of available clinical information enabling you to quickly access your area of interest. An Image and Calculator filter is also available to further customize the search results.
Overviews and Recommendations provide clinicians with concise, accurate summaries for the common conditions as well as evidence-based recommendations for patient care.
Graphics and Images include over 4,000 figures, algorithms and images, with more than 1,000 images from ACP, that provide critical tools at the point of care. Content includes:
- Clinical photos
- Radiological imaging
- Microscopic images
Expert Reviewers are an integral component of the DynaMed Plus editorial process. Subject-specific experts review topics using the DynaMed Plus proprietary evidence-based methodology and quality assurance processes.
Comprehensive Specialty Content includes thousands of topics covering emergency medicine, cardiology, oncology, infectious diseases, pediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology and much more.
Mobile Optimized web design displays the content in a user-friendly format from a PC, smartphone, or tablet.
Free Mobile App provides ability to access information offline, write and save notes, bookmark favorites, and email topics (iOS and Android available).
Micromedex® Clinical Knowledge Suite includes drug content such as drug dosing, interactions, off-label uses, and lab recommendations (select products only).
Other Valuable ACP Member Benefits Offering Free CME Credit and MOC Points
Annals of Internal Medicine publishes original research, review articles, practice guidelines, and commentary relevant to clinical practice, health care delivery, public health, health care policy, medical education, ethics, and research methodology. A subscription to Annals is an important benefit of ACP membership. Members receive full access to the digital editions, free Annals iPad app and/or print. Members also receive access to Annals-related CME/MOC. A subscription also includes two regular monthly features: (1) In the Clinic and (2) ACP Journal Club.
- Point-of-Care CME - Earn FREE point-of-care CME credit simply by reading Annals articles online. Shape your educational experience with self-directed learning about topics that are most relevant to your practice. Read the articles and answer 2 multiple-choice questions about how you will use the information in patient care and earn CME credit.
- Annals Consult Guys Videos - Watch entertaining videos on vexing questions in medical consultation and earn FREE CME credit. Tune into a new episode each month!
- Annals Beyond the Guidelines - This multimedia educational series is based on Grand Rounds sessions at the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. Earn FREE CME credit and MOC points.
Patient Resources for Health Management of Heart Failure
ACP's new Heart Failure Online Guide gives patients the essential tools they need to take charge of their condition:
- Informative sections on symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, and support
- Printable resources such as "Questions for my Doctor", and a medicine tracker
- Videos on eating well, pacemakers, ICD, and more
- Audio recording of all content
Patient Resources for Health Management
Help your patients with their health management goals. Co-developed with Consumer Reports, ACP's "Take Control of Your Health" guide helps to facilitate effective patient-physician communication about maintaining healthy blood sugar and blood pressure levels, needed vaccines, screenings and medicines, and choosing a healthy lifestyle.
Browse ACP's Patient Education Center for hundreds of other patient-centered education materials. The Center contains free guidebooks, fact sheets, videos, and other materials that promote understanding and self-management of common health conditions. All resources are written at or below a 6th grade reading level, and most are available in both English and Spanish.
Help Your Patients Understand and Manage Their Health Conditions
- Guidebooks - Easy to read books offer practical tips for managing behavior change, leading to improved health outcomes.
Note: ACP's "Living with Diabetes" Patient Guidebook was updated in November 2017 and is available in English and Spanish. Also, for more diabetes patient education resources, visit ACPOnline's Patient Education Center.
- Patient FACTS - Simple information sheets that help patients understand common conditions.
- The Wellness Network Partnership - Free access to a NEW Patient Education Video Library.
Also available: FREE Health TiPS, Videos and DVDs in a wide range of topics.
Help Patients Understand Flu Vaccination - FREE ACP Resources
- Easy-to-read tips explain how patients can protect themselves.
- Written at or below a 6th grade level.
- Other vaccines covered in these resources include pneumonia, chickenpox, shingles, and more.
Physician Guide on "Aging and Immunity: The Important Role of Vaccines"
This new physician guide was co-developed by the ACP, American Pharmacists Association and Gerontological Society of America and provides insight into the biological impact of aging on immunity and the benefits of vaccination for protecting the health of older patients. Key Points include: (1) the importance and rationale for vaccinations, specifically herpes zoster, pneumococcal, and influenza (2) strategies for overcoming common patient barriers and (3) best practices for developing a strong vaccination program. >> Download the Guide
Last updated: 11.2.18