The MLMIC website hosts hundreds of free online resources for both policyholders and the broader medical community. Now, all of those resources – including the MLMIC blog – are part of the MLMIC Insider, which can be accessed directly on MLMIC’s website.
Specifically, the MLMIC Insider contains:
• MLMIC Talk Studio – a video series on important and trending issues in professional liability, healthcare law and risk management.
• The Scope: Medical Edition - published quarterly, this newsletter offers the latest health, legal, risk management, and insurance information.
• The Albany Report – latest edition focuses policyholder attention on proposed legislation that would expand liability in medical
professional liability cases.
• Risk Management Checklists
• Medical Malpractice FAQs
• Nearly 600 blog posts – plus …
• Details on events, webinars, CME and other important reminders-to-date.
Bookmark the MLMIC Insider homepage and visit regularly!
MLMIC's June 2021 Albany Report
MLMIC's June 2021 Albany Report covers the conclusion of the New York 2021 Regular Legislative Session,
highlighting three items of passed legislation and other important legislative issues.
- Imposing pre-judgment interest on a defendant when the plaintiff loses their motion for summary judgment.
- Amending the current required disclosure of insurance policies in litigation discovery.
- Expanding the current hearsay exception for employees’ statements against their employers’ interests.
- Continued advocacy for a proposal on medical malpractice peer review and quality improvement programs for qualifying medical group practices.
MLMIC's April 2021 Albany Report
MLMIC's April 2021 Albany Report tackles recent New York State political developments and details four key items of interest to the medical professional liability insurance market from the recently enacted New York State 2021-22 budget.
- Continuation of the Physicians' Excess Medical Malpractice Program (commonly known as the “Section 18 Program”).
- Extension of the Department of Financial Services (DFS) Superintendent’s authority to set and establish primary and excess rates for physicians’ and surgeons’ medical professional liability insurance.
- NYS Medical Indemnity Fund (MIF) appropriation.
- Modifications to the New York State Office of Professional Medical Conduct (OPMC) due process protections for physicians faced with a complaint filed at the OPMC.
- A significant increase from Governor Cuomo’s proposed $193 billion executive budget.
MLMIC's February 2021 Albany Report
MLMIC has recently released its February 2021 Albany Report which breaks down items of interest from Governor Cuomo's 2021-22 NYS Proposed Executive Budget and highlights some potential political considerations.
Information and Links for connecting with MLMIC
- MLMIC’s COVID-19 Legislative Dashboard – provides information on important state and federal statutory/regulatory changes, including dates, sources/titles and explanations (updated 12/16/20)
- MLMIC website, offers direct support, vaccine resources, FAQ’s and
much more …
- MLMIC Blog
- The Scope: Medical Edition is a new publication published quarterly offering the latest health, legal, risk management, and insurance information
- Healthcare Weekly: timely industry news (if not already subscribed, please let me know)
- Twitter: Updates and industry news from MLMIC
Also, for those insureds who face challenges to their practice due to COVID-19, MLMIC continues to offer the following:
- MLMIC’s toll free 24/7 Legal Hotline – (855) FAKS-LAW (1-855-325-7529) can help address many questions or concerns that may arise.
- Our staff remains directly available via phone (800) ASK-MLMIC (1-800-275-6564) and every effort will be made to handle inquiries and answer questions regarding claims, coverages and policies on an immediate basis.
MLMIC's 4th Quarter 2020 issue contains several articles, including:
- Managing Your Social Media Presence
- CASE STUDY – Improper Medication Management in Psychiatric Treatment
- MLMIC’s Online Portal Access for Policyholders and Their Authorized Representatives
- The Joint Commission Issues Telehealth Strategies
Put the Power of MLMIC at Your Fingertips: download MLMIC's Mobile App Today!
MLMIC’s newly released mobile app provides quick access to exclusive, New York-focused benefits.
- Take advantage of New York – specific risk management services
- Gain 24/7 immediate access to specialized advice and legal resources
- Login to MLMIC’s secure portal and access renewal application updates, risk management courses, and MLMIC publications
- Contact MLMIC representatives directly