Patient Empowerment Resources
NYACP is participating in an initiative to Help Physicians Empower Patients. The goal is to increase awareness and use of quality and cost transparency tools as well as to equip physicians with the skills, resources and tools necessary to have successful conversations with patients. Though it can be an awkward topic, understanding a patient’s cost concerns could mean the difference between getting the treatment they need versus forgoing treatment altogether.
We are here to support you in having the quality and cost conversation with your patients and addressing their concerns. Listed below are free tools and resources available to assist you with effectively engaging and empowering patients who are considering cost as a part of their decision making.
These materials will assist in determining practice readiness, related initiatives, and a shared understanding around the importance of constructive cost of care conversations.
These materials will assist in training clinicians and staff in skills that support constructive conversations with patients, such as shared decision making. They also provide ideas and guidelines for implementation that can be adapted to your office needs.
These materials provide tools, strategies, examples and templates that will assist in providing patients with the necessary information and guidance related to cost and quality of care conversations.
A list of quality and cost transparency tools vetted by NYACP that will help patients find quality, affordable care.
Use these organizations and websites to help patients gain access to more affordable care through assistance programs. Many have help lines that patients can contact directly.
- 6/21/18 YCIA Article: Become a Price Transparency Pioneer Today with NYACP's Early Adopter Incentive Program
- 10/25/18 YCIA Article: Tools to Help You and Your Patient Explore Out-of-Pocket Costs
- 12/7/18 YCIA Article: Medications: A Practical Way to Get Comfortable with Cost Conversations
Dr. James Hardee, Department of Internal Medicine, Kaiser Permanente Colorado, shares his approach to cost conversations and addresses the time barrier in the first in a series of 4 Cost of Care podcasts from Avalere Health. The aim of the series is to provide you and your staff with actionable information to improve Cost of Care Conversations with your patients.
- Episode 4: Recommendations for How to Overcome Common Barriers When Implementing Cost of Care Conversations
- Episode 3: A Guide to Integrating Cost-of-Care Conversations into Workflow
- Episode 2: Quick Tips for Clinicians on How to Talk with Patients About the Expected Costs of Care
- Episode 1: Why Should Primary Care Clinicians Routinely Talk with Their Patients About the Expected Costs of Care?
Incorporating Cost of Care Conversations Into Your Clinical Practice: Why It’s Important and What You Can Start Doing Today
September 6, 2018
Facilitator: Avalere Health
View the Webinar - audio begins at 1 minute 27 seconds
Last Updated: 4.23.2019